Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Herceptin 17: the end of all treatments

Friday, October 5, Anne-Marie had her last Herceptin treatment. It was almost sad to be in the treatment room for the 21st and final time. Surprisingly, it was the slowest day in the treatment room since we began there last August. Anne-Marie was with only two other patients and no more were supposed to come in for the rest of the day.

Included in those two other patients was a nice lady beside us who had taken chemo for a year only to be told a few months after finishing that the cancer had returned. I've heard so many stories like this, I've long since run out of opinions or easy answers. I just expressed my sympathy in the most real way I could.

I went downstairs and got a grilled chicken sandwich from Green's Cafe downstairs. I've tried almost everything on their menu over the last year and a half. I don't know why I finally picked the one thing that I liked the last day.

We were told by Dr. Smith that we wouldn't need to come in for three months. I remember when it used to be years between visits to the doctor, now three months feels like enough liberty to become intimidated.

We feel for those people that we left behind in the Professional Plaza Friday. We'll never look at the chronically ill the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment