Monday, October 27, 2008

NBCAM 2008

I know that I've put the special banner at the top of the site and everything, but I haven't really talked about National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is a time that's dear to our hearts because Anne-Marie was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 26, as some of you long-time readers will remember.

I have a friend that works on the shop side of our complex named Jay. A few weeks ago he came in from the shop and told me his mom had been diagnosed with breast cancer. He had already lost two aunts to cancer and was understandably devastated.

Over the past few weeks we've learned that it is invasive (infiltrative) breast cancer that tested positive in the sentinel lymph node and negative in the other nodes. For all of those who don't understand the terminology it's not only a bad report, but means chemotherapy is necessary.

What's the end of the story? I wish I could tell you. Please pray for Jay and his family. They have a lot to deal with right now.

That's the thing about "awareness" campaigns. It seems too obvious to publicly declare the need to be aware. Kinda self-defeating. But sometimes it's work to be aware of other peoples' problems. It would mean so much if people would just be aware.

Hey--and while you're at it--go ahead and do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment