Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Three years later: the power of a prayer

11/15/09 marked three years since we made the decision to adopt. Many of you have read the story here on the blog or heard me tell it in person.

At the time it felt more like an idea than anything else. Not like a new family member or a financial challenge or a timeline or anything else. Just an idea. I don't know how we had the courage to ask God for the ability to believe in the idea, let alone the process, plane trip or parenthood. And for more than a year after the decision, we would look at each other and say, "I don't know how we're gonna do this!" and laugh. I guess it's a good thing you don't have to do it all at once.

But it was driven by a prayer, and that prayer was one my wife and I (mostly Anne-Marie) prayed even before we knew what was going to happen that Wednesday in November of 2006. And after our prayer was answered that night, we saw one more, and then another, and then more and here we are three years later.

That tells me we need to pray more of these kinds of prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment