Monday, January 11, 2010

2009 survey

Here's one of those surveys I thought I'd never post:

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Become a parent.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No and no.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Too many. Joe and Dawnella come to mind.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. And that's the first time in a while.

5. What places did you visit?
Bainbridge Island, WA; Washington, D.C; Addis Ababa, ET

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Money. A whole lot of spendin' money.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory?
June 16th (referral day); July 4th (first pics of the kids); September 14th (gotcha day); May 25th and September 4th (our 30th birthdays)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Beside completing the adoption, realizing that there are things worth completely selling out for.

9. What was your biggest failure?
My failure to trust God that our kids would be home by the end of the year. Or perhaps my failure to realize that eating tripe and fried goat while in Ethiopia is very risky.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Did you read #9? Let me help you out: swallow a live, angry badger. That's how it felt.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
This is a tough one. Final Cut Express 4, The Screwtape Letters in dramatized audio, tickets to Brian Regan, Dean acoustic guitar, airport shuttle service (life saver)

12. Where did most of your money go?
I think it's a tie between mortgage payments and adoption fees. Naw. Adoption I think was more.

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
What God is doing in people's lives.

14. What song will always remind you of 2009?
"Just Wanna Say" by Israel Houghton or "Closer to Love" by Mat Kearney

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? totally depends on how you look at it
b) thinner or fatter? believe it or not, I'm thinner (see #9 again)
c) richer or poorer? poorer monetarily

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Pouring myself into people.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Probably spending time doing stuff like this.

18. How did you spend your summer holidays?
Frantically trying to get ready for the trip of a lifetime.

19. Did you fall in love in 2009?
With two orphans.

20. This useless question was ignored.

21. What was your favorite TV program?
I don't watch TV. But "The Twilight Zone" definitely comes to mind...

22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I think I'm closer to NOT hating people that I hated last year. God help me not to hate anyone!

23. What was the best book you read?
Crazy Love by Francis Chan, The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis, Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard or (just finishing) When Men Pray by Larry Schoonover

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Vicente Infante or maybe Dooney Da Priest. Or Royal Tailor Band.

25. What did you want and get?
Some clothes. Mine were falling apart!

26. What did you want and not get?
A Breedlove guitar and the talent to play it.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Not really UP on the latest films. How on earth would I know?

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Went to P.F. Chang's with Anne-Marie and strolled the Pearl District. Think I thought about buying a book at Powell's about the Civil War and then put it back. And yes, I turned 30!

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to continue mentoring in NE Portland.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Two words: Good and Will

31. What kept you sane?
Knowing that I'm ultimately not in control anyway.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Did I "fancy"?

33. Whose behaviour appalled you?
I know this is probably everone else's answer, but Tiger Woods (allegedly) . Wow, what a shock!

34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I am blessed and if you have food, shelter and clothing, so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment