Thursday, September 08, 2011

10th Anniversary: The Open Love Letter

My one and only love,

How could it have already been 10 years?  I guess I may look old enough for that, but it still seems hard for me to conceive in my mind.  I wonder if it's because I feel like my life didn't really begin until the day I met you.  (That would make me maybe 15 or 16.)

And if I really was 15 or 16 again, I would find you, make you fall in love with me and marry you right away so we could have as many years together as possible.  Then when our kids grow up and ask why it was okay for us to do that, we'll give the sorry excuse that "times were different back then".  Who cares?  As long as we're together.

But all this is truly silly.  I can't go back and change what's been.  And I wouldn't.  Because to go back would mean to change who you are and that's not the lady I was born to love.

So instead, let's go forward.  How about we spend about the next 100 years together, give or take?  Judging from the last 10, I'll bet we can find ways to make it interesting.

Your teenage lover

No comments:

Post a Comment