Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Morning Song #8

Happy Easter!

I've mentioned Aunt Liz a couple of times on the blog (here and here).  She was a huge part of my childhood and gave me a love for a lot of good things.

Richard Smallwood had an album called Textures in the mid-80's that Aunt Liz and Mom would play over and over.  I think the second song on side B was where you could find a song about the crucifixion called "Calvary" that was a rendition of a turn-of-the-century spiritual.

I couldn't find the original version online, but I found a live version that has the same words (and I don't know how they make this into eight minutes):

Calvary, Calvary
Surely He died on Calvary

Can't you hear the hammer ringing?
Surely He died on Calvary

Can't you hear Him calling His Father?
Surely He died on Calvary

---

Joyful, grief-stricken, passionate, mournful, jubilant.

"Calvary" by Richard Smallwood

No comments:

Post a Comment