Monday, August 25, 2014

School

When I was a kid you went to school when you turned six.  I'm sure you can imagine the shocked expression I had when the (literally) more educated generation after me told me that kids now go to school when they turn five.

I resisted the idea at first, but after consulting with my more temperate wife, we have decided to send our kids to kindergarten.

(What is kindergarten?  I have no idea.  I guess I thought it was just daycare but free.  I do know that I didn't do any kindergarten-type activities when I was five, and look how I turned out!)

Anyways, we decided to send our kids to kindergarten (after considering how I did indeed turn out and) because it's the de facto 1st grade these days.  The original hope was to homeschool the kids, but the health situation we've been facing over the past 2 1/2 years has caused us to decide against it.  The plans then switched to a private or church school.  That kinda fell apart in a hurry as well.

So the kids will be spending their 0th grade year at the local elementary school three blocks from our house.  We'll try again next year on the private school thing.

I'm promising that I won't go to my kids' classroom at random times, sit in the back and stare holes through the teacher so he/she knows my kids are my most precious treasure on the whole earth.  Yes, I promise not to do that more than a dozen times next week.

---

Along with school comes back-to-school shopping.  Or maybe it's not really back to school.  It's just school shopping.  Big things coming next week.

First time school shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment