Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy Easter!?

OK. I know I'm really late on this, but last week we were on vacation. So, I thought since we're going to have our family Easter dinner tomorrow, I should do my annual Easter post a week late as well.

Just today I read this from Paul's letter to the Romans:
We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, "The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me." For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus. (15.1-5, ESV)
I wish I knew if I belong in the "strong" category or the "weak" category. Probably both, depending on which day (or minute) you talk to me.

Endurance and encouragement: two things we could all use. Albert Barnes said that Christ "threw Himself" in front of all our mistakes, failures, the things we did wrong. Paul says that this should give us hope. Not just the fact that we read this, but that God will send us someone strong to raise us up.

I'm thankful to all the people that have been that "someone" in my life. I plan on being that to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment