Friday, August 02, 2013

Emergency to Surgery: Part 4

Anne-Marie was on the floor and was fading in and out more times than I could count.  She seemed as if someone was actually taking a switch and turning her off and on.  Recognition, fear, then nothingness in a cycle. 

I could feel despair and almost a bitterness rise up in me over the seeming futility of all she'd fought for over the last seven years when I realized something: She's not having a stroke or a heart attack. She's only losing consciousness.

I was still praying and holding her when she came back.

"My ears are buzzing."

"Should I call 911?"

"Probably."

I managed to keep ahold of her while I grabbed my cell phone, dialed the three numbers you never want to dial and talked to the dispatcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment