Sunday, February 14, 2021

Darkness


"the light has gone out of my life"

137 years ago today, Theodore Roosevelt wrote these words.  It was the day he lost his wife.  They're just as real to me as if he had written them today.

Daytime is shorter than night.  
Memories bring pain and not smiles.  
Colors all look like they're gray.  
Fatigue, but can't sleep anyway.

Payday today, yet who can I treat?
Work trip to leave for, but no one to leave.
No one to come home to and greet with a kiss.
Knew what to expect, but I didn't expect this.

News of the day; nobody to hear.  
Sang a love song, but to only my ears.
Sent you a text: delivered, not read.  
I just can't accept the fact that you're 

Not here.

But time will move on and not stay.
So welcome to Valentine's Day.
If I can't spend it with my wife,
The light has gone out of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment